I Can Now Cross “Kayaking” Off my Bucket List

One of my tiny goals this year was to kayak. While at Laity Lodge, I had the chance.

THE HAT is a last-minute thought,
in case the on-and-off sprinkles
turn to something more,
at least I won’t get completely wet.

In the end I get soaked.

And I just want to say:
Getting into a kayak
from a dock
is not as easy as it looks.

If you are going to fall in the water
there is nothing quite like doing it
in full view
of a half-dozen bloggers,
cameras in hand.

Afterwards, paddling away, I yell to them
“I’ll get a blog post out of this!”

And so I have.

* * *

Turns out
the hat floats.
So do flip flops.
My glasses stayed on….amazingly.

BUT I can now claim I have kayaked.
And the Frio River is lovely and warm this time of year.

p.s. The kayaking experience
would be greatly improved
by the addition of a LazyBoy recliner.

IMAGES by Sandra Heska King. Thank you, friend, for capturing it all so I have PROOF. You are a dear!

This entry was posted in @ play, Laity Lodge. Bookmark the permalink.

14 Responses to I Can Now Cross “Kayaking” Off my Bucket List

1. I am so impressed, Marilyn! The rain convinced me it was too cold to get in the water, but look at you! You did it!

2. pastordt says:

Uh, huh! You can cross that sucker off with a big, fat X! Well done, Marilyn. Well done.

3. juliana says:

I’m so glad that you are still sharing and blogging here…I was worried a few articles ago that you were done…so very glad you aren’t! I would have missed you dearly.

4. Suz says:

Way to go ma! Looks like you had fun.

5. bethhavey says:

YOU GO GIRL!!!!!!!!

Oh, my, you set the bar high for the rest of us! What an adventurous spirit and sense of humour!

7. lborange says:

Dear boating buddy: kayaking gets better. Really. But this was a stellar start.
    P.S. You were mentioned here.

8. This is great! So much fun. You are such a joy!

9. LOVE this story!! 🙂

10. Sheila Seiler Lagrand says:

I LOVE the last photo. That big smile on your face–wonderful!

One thing I remember about this episode is the shriek, and how two people came running to make sure no one was in danger. Touched my heart.

11. Pingback: New Skin - Sandra Heska King