Since my “how-to” posts seem to be the most popular of all (which is a crushing blow to my artistic efforts and deep thinking, but I try not to let anyone know it), I offer this.
* * *
THE KEY TO PRESERVING the top layer of the wedding cake so it’s both edible and attractive on the first anniversary is oodles of plastic wrap.
- Remove any flowers, ribbons and cake toppers.
- Freeze or refrigerate cake for several hours to allow icing to harden so it doesn’t get smooshed when you wrap it. If there is cardboard underneath, remove it.
- Double wrap: Wrap in plastic wrap, completely. No uncovered spots. No places for air to get in. Do the best you can. Then do it again a second time.
- Place in box. Wrap the box in plastic, too. (After this, I also wrapped the whole thing in foil because I liked the look, but it isn’t necessary.)
- Label it.
- Put in freezer, preferably in a place where it won’t get jostled too much, a place with little traffic. Not near the ice cream. Near the frozen vegetables.