On OVERload

a familiar road
last year

On OVERload
again

My mind
spinning.

I think NO thought all the way through to the end,
but bounce from one thing to another.

WHO
goes to WHICH doctor
WHEN
and FOR WHAT?
Did someone just sneeze on me?
I shop for two households at once, trying to keep lists and debit cards straight.
Do the dogs need to go out?

Arriving at my destination,
I realize I have no memory of the last 4-1/2 miles.

How many others are on the roads like this?
I add that to my list.

There are more things in my head
than I have space for
,”
I say at our nightly dinner debriefing.
No need to explain it.
There is, at times, no space to breathe.
It’s good to recognize
and be careful.

This entry was posted in busy schedules, cancer. Bookmark the permalink.

8 Responses to On OVERload

1. hopecoffeeandmelody says:

Was this post for me? I definitely don’t have space for all thestuff in my head.

2. Marilyn says:

No, I wasn’t thinking of you, but it’s nice to know it rings true for someone besides me. We blog writers often wonder that, as we hang all our stuff out there for the rest world to read. 🙂

3. Emily says:

This is how I feel almost ALL the time.

4. Chris Craven says:

I can so relate. I remember many nights last fall when I would drive from the hospital to my sister’s and wander when I came up to her exit, how did I get here. I did not remember driving through the city my mind was so focused on Caleb, the girls, Jason; living in two different cities and two different mommy modes, two different mindframes.

5. Kelsey says:

I can so relate to this thank you!

6. Fern says:

Marilyn, I drove 80 miles to Tyndale Seminary in Toronto twice a week for eight years. I can’t tell you how many exits I missed or how many times I couldn’t recall having gone over the skyway by Burlington. Once I ended up almost in Guelph when I was supposed to be going back to St. Catharines. It was late at night, no cell phone, no GPS.

I also have a difficult time staying awake while driving. On day I pulled off the QEW into a church yard to sleep for twenty minutes before going the rest of the way home. I drove up beside the church bus, lowered my car seat and fell fast asleep. Suddenly, I woke up and saw this bus beside me! I thought I had fallen asleep in traffic. I bolted up and grabbed the steering wheel, only to find out I wasn’t driving. I laughed like crazy all the way home.

7. Oh Fern, that is such a funny story! Worthy of Belindaland. 🙂 Yes, Marilyn, I once heard our brains referred to as hard drives with only so much space and when they are full, things fall out at the back! 🙂