Several readers asked for this SWEET POTATO CASSEROLE recipe. Can be made ahead and chilled overnight. Just add 5 mins to baking time.
- 6 med sweet potatoes
- 1/2 cup brown sugar
- 2 eggs
- 1 teas. vanilla extract
- 1/3 cup half-and-half
- 1/2 cup melted butter or margarine
- 1 cup brown sugar
- 2 Tbl flour
- 1/4 cup butter or margarine
- 1 cup coarsely chopped pecans or other nuts
- 1/2 cup flaked coconut (optional)
- Cook sweet potatoes in boiling water to cover 30 to 45 minutes. let cool to touch. Skins pull right off. Peel and mash.
- Combine mashed sweet potato, 1/2 cup sugar and next 4 ingredients; beat at medium speed with electric mixer. Spoon into greased 13 X 9 baking dish.
- Combine 1 cup brown sugar and flour; cut in 1/4 cup butter with a pastry blender until mixture is crumbly. Stir in pecans and coconut; sprinkle over casserole.
- Bake, uncovered, at 350 degrees for 30 to 35 minutes or until lightly browned and bubbly around edges.
Yield: 8 servings
Per servings: calories 644, fat 32.1, cholesterol 103, sodium 247 mg.
This is from my most reliable cookbook, The Ultimate Southern Living Cookbook, published by Oxmoor House in 1999.